Old Gwernyfed Manor
We were tasked to restore the failing leaded windows, steel frames and replace any of the modern windows with traditional leaded windows in steel casements in the style of those being restored. 30 sets of leaded light windows were taken out, restored and installed. This was part of a huge restoration to the entire manor house.
Old Gwernyfed is located to the south west of Hay-on-Wye close to the beautiful Usk Valley with the backdrop of the Black Mountains including the famous Hay Bluff. Part of the estate lies within the Brecon Beacons National Park.
More information about Old Gwernyfed Manor
Old Gwernyfed Manor is named after the great Celtic longhouse home for a Welsh chieftain and his clan. There has been a house on the site since Norman times and it is the major gentry house of the area. A medieval house was replaced by another in about 1450 which forms the basis of the present manor.
The Manor was modernised in 1590 when three wings were added to the house, transforming its shape from the letter “I” to a symmetrical “E”, in honour of Elizabeth the reigning Queen. Queen Elizabeth would have been pleased to see the great spiral staircase newly built around the huge oaken post. The oak was a mast from a ship of the wrecked Spanish Armada, washed up on the Welsh shore.
The main rooms were in the south west wing until a fire in c. 1780 since which the wing has been a shell. On the north west front of the house the fenestration has been disrupted by the erection of a large stone stack dating from the early nineteenth century and may mark the transition from Manor to farm house. Inside the house a date on the fireplace of 1680, provides evidence for later alterations of the house.
It is believed that, William Shakespeare delighted in some of the other wood in the house: he carved a cryptic message on the oaken Minstrel’s Screen. It was correctly deciphered only a few years ago by a British Intelligence officer who was staying at Old Gwernyfed Manor.
You can see more information about the manor and its restoration at the website: www.oldgwernyfed.co.uk